The Best Way to Protect Your Family Against Carbon Monoxide

Protect Your Family Against Carbon Monoxide

When winter comes around, safety becomes a priority. We drive carefully in the rain (or snow). We take down our dry Christmas trees. We heat our homes to stay warm. But, often, we forget to protect our families against one of winter’s biggest risks: carbon monoxide poisoning.

With the windows closed and the heat on, carbon monoxide can build up from a leaky gas heater. It’s odorless, tasteless, and colorless – an invisible killer. Wood stoves, gas generators, gas furnaces, and even candles are the main culprits. Basically, anything that burns can release carbon monoxide into the air. It’s easy to miss. And the cost can be high.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention statistics on carbon monoxide poisoning are extensive and eye opening. Each year, around 15,000 people visit the emergency room – and 500 of them die. In Tennessee alone, 12 people have died from carbon monoxide poisoning since 2013.

Too much exposure to the deadly gas can damage heart, lungs, and other vital organs. At-risk people include sleepers, children, seniors, pregnant women, and those suffering from illness.

But you can protect your family against carbon monoxide poisoning.

Simply install a good carbon monoxide detector. You need to cover your whole home. Installing one on every floor of your home, especially near the bedrooms, should do the job. Test the detectors at least once a month to make sure they’re working well.

But not just any carbon monoxide detector will do.

Detectors you can buy at the hardware store are relatively inexpensive. And they’re almost useless. They’re not able to sense carbon monoxide until unsafe levels of 70 parts per million (ppm) are present … for 3.5 hours.

70 ppm is well into the loss-of-consciousness range. That’s especially dangerous when the family’s asleep and can’t notice symptoms such as dizziness and confusion. Put into layman’s terms, harmful effects are already present before most alarms make a peep. And for vulnerable people, like infants and the elderly, those effects are greater.

But what about levels that are even lower? Say, 15 ppm?

Long-term exposure to levels above 15 ppm can also lead to sickness – and even permanent disabilities. Regular carbon monoxide detectors will never sound the alarm for levels that low.

So, what kind of carbon monoxide detector do you need?

You need a low-level carbon monoxide monitor.

Far more sensitive than off-the-shelf detectors that only sense 70 ppm, low-level detectors sense levels as low as 5 ppm. That’s far below the dangerous range, providing a crucial early warning.

That’s the difference between disability (or death) and safety.

Even better, most low-level monitors – such as the NSI 3000 we install – are battery-powered. So a power outage won’t leave your family unprotected. That also means you can have the detector installed almost anywhere. We can help you choose the best location (or locations) for your detectors.

The low-level carbon monoxide monitor we offer uses the same electrochemical sensor technology found in professional carbon monoxide analyzers. It provides $1,000s of performance for a fraction of the cost, and comes with a 5-year warranty if properly installed.

Who needs a low-level carbon monoxide detector?

You do – if you use:

  • Gas furnace or heat pump
  • Fireplace (gas or wood)
  • Gas generator
  • Gas water heater
  • Gas stove
  • Gas dryer
  • Kerosene space heaters or lanterns
  • Cigarettes and candles
  • If you have an attached garage or a car left idling in the basement, it can be a big problem!
  • Anything that burns fossil fuels as a power source

To protect your family against carbon monoxide poisoning, Just Call Dale’s. We can quickly and easily install a premium low-level detector that you can’t buy in stores. It can give you peace of mind as it watches over your family’s health.

Leave a Reply