Do you know why carbon monoxide is called the “silent killer?” It’s because most victims never suspect they’re being poisoned by their own furnaces. How can you protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning? Death follows large doses – but even low exposure to carbon monoxide (CO) can make you sick*.
Naturally, don’t just rely on a carbon monoxide monitor to protect your family. Yes, you need a CO monitor. But taking further precautions is wise, and experts recommend doing so.
How Can You Protect Your Family From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Here are the 4 most effective ways to protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning.
1. Install a Commercial CO Monitor
Heart, lung, and brain function is permanently harmed by long-term exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide. Residential CO monitors don’t go off until CO is at unsafe levels. By then, CO has been at a low level for long enough that your health is already permanently compromised.
Install commercial-grade monitors. Place them outside each bedroom, in the kitchen, living area, and utility room, and near the ceiling (CO rises).
2. Demand to See a Permit During Installation
When having an appliance changed, don’t rely on guesswork and blind faith in the installer’s competence. Ask for a permit and don’t allow installation without proof of certification. Venting and proper combustion are too important to neglect.
3. Get Your Appliances Tested
For the sake of your health, you need to know that your gas furnace, heat pump, fireplace, water heater, or stove is burning gas efficiently enough. At installation, and twice every year, have a professional test your appliances with a combustion analyzer.
A combustion analyzer shows a technician the appliance’s efficiency, ventilation, and fuel-air mixture. It’s a critical ingredient of safe gas appliance installation and maintenance. Without combustion analysis, you’re left to hope that there’s no poison in the air you breathe.
Have a technician test your gas …
- Heat pump
- Water Heater
Ideal times to have your gas-based systems inspected are during the beginning of spring and early autumn. Right before the next high-energy-use season starts.
Also, if you use a wood-burning fireplace, you need to have it inspected for proper venting twice a year. Mark this on your calendar!
4. Just Call Dale’s
To serve you, Dale’s technicians are trained to use combustion analyzers during every gas water heater and heat pump installation and repair. We’re not required by TN state law to be certified in combustion and carbon monoxide. In fact, only 2% of contractors have this essential training. But we value your safety.
Our techs are trained to protect your family better. Just Call Dale’s – so you can sleep securely, breathe easy, and rely on your home to be a healthy, safe environment.
* Carbon monoxide is tasteless, colorless, non-irritating, and you can’t smell it. You might just feel sick – when in reality, you’re being poisoned. Most CO-related illness goes undetected because the symptoms so closely resemble other known illnesses.